Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Starbucks and You Know What

I had a cup of Starbucks coffee today. It was delicious, of course. In the Commercial Appeal (the Memphis newspaper) this past Sunday, there was an interesting Associated Press article about Starbucks by Allison Linn. She described Starbucks’ ambitious goal of “having 40,000 stores worldwide,” but two statements in the article particularly caught my eye:

1. Joshua Sanders of Seattle was asked why he preferred Starbucks over a competitor. He answered, “It’s the coffee.”
2. Starbucks Chairman Howard Schultz “said he thought the company had been vastly underestimating the worldwide demand for its items.”

Can you see where I’m going with this? I don’t need to say more, do I?

Addition to This Post

One of my buddies told me today that I need to explain the above comments. My point is this: Starbucks coffee is the main thing at Starbucks. The atmosphere is great for conversations, witnessing, etc., but people go there for the coffee. There is a great demand for it worldwide. Compare this situation to our churches. We worry about the atmosphere and how we will adapt to the surrounding culture, and this concern is important, of course. The main thing, however, is Jesus. If He is being strongly reflected in our lives, people will be drawn to Him. There is a great demand for Him worldwide.